Monthly Report - July 2022

Comments:
My portfolio finally saw some significant recovery this year as it bounced back by +3.9%! The S&P500 did the heavy lifting this month as it saw a +9.1% gain mainly due to great earning results despite ongoing global issues. Another major catalyst for the gain was due to the US Fed hiking the interest rate by 75 basis point as 'expected by investors'.
   The Hang Seng was a drag though as it ended at -7.8% for the month due to flare up in COVID cases. I don't mind it too much as it was carrying my portfolio for the past 2 months when the S&P500 was crashing. As a result, the Principal Greater China was down -4.6% and my VT ETF gains was kept humble at +8.1%.
   My other funds ended up positive, trailing the S&P500. The Europe Industrial was up +3.15% and United ASEAN at +0.7%. The Manulife APAC REIT was up +5.1% likely due to China's focus to ease the housing & property crisis.
   On a more personal note, after almost 10 years at my company, I was offered a position in a competing office with a 35% pay rise! As it was a move to the competition, I was immediately released with my 1 month notice period and balance leave reimbursed. Hence why we see a huge influx of cash this month (RM13k). Unfortunately, not as much went into my investments because I also spent quite a bit this month mainly on an overseas family vacay, car repairs, purchase of new phone (new company doesn't provide) and gift to my parents. On top of that, I have decided to increase my liquid cash holdings from RM5k to RM10k.

Forward Strategy: 
I will continue to Value Cost Average (VCA) into my funds, keeping them at a fixed weightage as follows; Vanguard Total World Stock Index Fund ETF (70%), Principal Greater China (10%), United ASEAN (10%) and Manulife REITS (10%).

No comments:

Post a Comment